What is your favorite tool in English teaching or English learning? #ELTchat Summary 16/11/16
#ELTchat is a (more or less) hour-long conversation which takes place on Twitter every Wednesday at 20:00 GMT/UTC.
On Saturdays one of the moderators puts up a blog post where followers can propose topics for the following Wednesday. Once the moderators have reviewed the topics they create an online poll and #ELTchat followers are asked to vote.
Summaries and Transcripts Index
At the end of the chat someone ‘volunteers’ to make a Summary of the discussion, the moderators providing the Transcript.
Most of the tools that were mentioned on 16th November 2016.
- Coloured markers: another polyvalent low tech tool.
- Cork bulletin boards.
- Interactive whiteboards were not so popular but I find Explain Everything intriguing.
- Marisa Constantinides has created a Padlet with all the tools that were suggested here: #ELTchat Tools Swapshop.
- A lot of people use various Google Tools: Google Docs, Google Slides
- I think that the only Content Management System mentioned was WordPress. Google Tools can easily be inserted into WordPress pages with the addon: Google for WordPress.* I think there’s a similar tool for Moodle.
- On the other hand several Learning Mangement Systems were mentioned which have integrated tools (forums, wikis, etc.) and students’ work can be tracked and graded.
Moodle, Edmondo, Canvas
- Who doesn’t know Kindle? But how to use it in class?
- Various quiz makers for use outside LMSs were mentioned: Quizlet, Kahoot, Quizizz,
- Videos games and quizzes: Edpuzzle, PlayPhrase.me, Nawmal,
- QR Codes: QR Codes for Teachers, How to use QR codes in the classroom,
- Flipbook maker: Flip PDF Professional,
- Learning songs (fill-in-the-blanks/dictation) Lyrics Training. Huge choice of songs (not only English).
- Join.me: free screen sharing.
- Odds & Ends:
Tellagami is a mobile app that lets you create and share a quick animated Gami video.
Wiggio makes it easy to work in groups.
Mobile Phones: Underutilized Pedagogical Devices slideshare also available as a free PDF.
Noisli – Improve Focus and Boost Productivity with Background Noise
53 Ways to Check for Understanding
Box Com “Your files on any device, from anywhere” 10 GB free for personal files.
Dropbox File hosting service
Six Second Stories by Faiza Qureshi. Kindle version is free.
Jing, Snagit or Camtasia screencapture devices all made by Techsmith: choose one depending on your needs & budget
I’ll check all the links later.
*If people are interested I can explain how to insert any webpage in another using “copy & paste” in HTML. No need to learn the code.
About the summary writer
Glenys Hanson is an avid Twitter hashtag user and a frequent participant of #ELTchat. She is an experienced teacher, SIlent Way enthusiast, blogger and web designer and you can read all about her here