What would you like to talk about on Wednesday April 13?

A PLN for ELT Professionals

What would you like to talk about on Wednesday April 13?

Propose topics for our next #ELTchat

Please post your topics for our next #ELTchat on Wednesday, April 13.

Top choice will be discussed at  12:00 PM. & 2nd choice at  21:00 PM.  All times are London times. Please click on the links to find your own local time for each chat.

Each week we alternate top and second choice.

Please, include topics which

• have not been covered already in previous #ELTchats
  • are relevant to ELT teachers and teaching foreign languages
  • are not targeted attacks on individuals or institutions
  • are simply and clearly expressed.

The #ELTchat moderators reserve the right not to post comments or to include them in the poll if they do not follow the above guidelines.

#ELTchat – Two new discussion topics every Wednesday!

17 Responses

1. Ola Bakri says:

How can we motivate young learners and teens in different level class?

2. I would like to put a couple of topics from last week to the vote again:

1. The role of controlled practice/restricted use activities in language teaching and ways of making them engaging.

2. How do you encourage learners and trainees to reflect on their learning and practice?

3. Adam says:

Teachers are morally obliged to share their cultural norms with their class. Discuss.

4. Sandy Millin says:

I like Lesley’s 2nd topic, and I’m also going to propose another:
    How can we help teachers make the transition from the classroom to management positions?

5. walton says:

And I like Lesley’s 1st topic. I voted for it last week and would love to hear more about controlled practice and how people implement it in the classroom.

6. Ty Kendall says:

Is CLIL the latest bandwagon? And should we be wary of jumping on?

7. Hi Adam, we have in fact discussed this topic in the past but not from a high moral stance, I must admit. Perhaps you might like to add an alternative topic?

8. Hi Lesley, the role of reflection was something that was a theme of the conference at ISTEK and I like your ideas, but for an #ELTchat it might be perhaps a better idea if we stuck to learners – trainee reflection would be more interesting for those of us involved in teacher education but it should really be a separate question I think.

9. Lesley says:

Hi Marisa

I was thinking more of learners’ reflection myself. I just copied the topics from last week’s poll which included trainees. So I agree with your suggestion wholeheartedly!

So my second sugesstion would now read:

How do you encourage learners to reflect on their learning and practice?

Cheers,
    Lesley

10. Dyah Argarini says:

In my opinion, encouraging students is very important. I need to know how. Thanks

11. Claudia Martins says:

I guess we could talk about classroom management, what do you think? Dealing with mixed abilities?

12. BobK99 says:

Lesley’s revised version sunds good. But I won’t be here for either session, so don’t mind me!

b

13. Shaun Wilden says:

Hi Claudia,

We talked about mixed abilities a few weeks ago – you can find the summary of the that here http://eltchat.com/2011/03/01/how-do-you-deal-with-mixed-ability-classes-summary/. We’d be happy to add classroom management to next week’s poll – is there a particular aspect you want to look at?

Shaun

14. Shaun Wilden says:

Hi Dyah,

I didn’t include your question as we have covered motivation before along with encouraging sts to speak and so on (please see the eltchat summaries – http://eltchat.com/eltchat-summaries-index/). If you think that your topic is different then please submit it for next week’s chat and we’ll include it.

Shaun

15. I liked the idea about controlled activities, too, and my proposition is:

how do you “amend” the coursebook you have to use so it really works? The coursebooks’ shortcomings and how to deal with them. 🙂

Haven’t seen ELTchatter’s for ages – looking forward to the upcoming chat…

16. nana nanouka says:

Non- native teachers of English and their insecurities about teaching a language that is not their mother tongue!

17. Siblu says:

boinx1234 on May 18, 2011 @church113Because the voesirn on “The View” was heavily censored. I wanted to post the complete voesirn.

Comments are closed.